American actor and producer Kevin Spacey have been charged with four counts of sexual assault in the United Kingdom, according to the Crown Prosecution Service.
In a statement issued on Thursday, Rosemary Ainslie, head of the CPS Special Crime Division, said, “The CPS has authorised criminal charges against actor Kevin Spacey, 62, for four counts of sexual assault against three individuals.”
She further said, “He’s also accused of forcing someone to engage in penetrative sexual activity without their consent. The charges follow a review of the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police in its investigation.”
Spacey sexually assaulted the first victim twice in London in March 2005, according to the first accuser. A third victim said Spacey sexually assaulted him in Gloucestershire in April 2013, while a fourth claimed Spacey sexually assaulted him in August 2008.
The fourth charge of inducing someone to engage in penetrative sexual activity without their consent was allegedly made in London in August 2008 against the same person who had accused Spacey of sexual assault earlier that month.
Beginning in October 2017, Spacey’s acting career was largely wrecked by allegations of sexual assault and misbehaviour. Actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making sexual overtures toward him while he was still under the age of 18 at a party in the 1980s.
In a statement at the time, the two-time Oscar Award winner said: “I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor. I’m beyond horrified to hear this story. I honestly do not remember the encounter; it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour.”
In his apologies to Rapp, the actor also earned derision for coming out as gay.
Several additional people accused Spacey of misbehaviour in the weeks that followed. Because of the claims, he was sacked from his starring position in Netflix’s “House of Cards,” for which he earned a Golden Globe.
While serving as artistic director of the Old Vic Theatre in London from 1995 until 2013, Spacey was accused of wrongdoing by at least 20 people. Following charges made elsewhere in November 2017, the allegations were made in an anonymous inquiry performed by an outside law firm.
The Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office examined two sexual assault complaints against Spacey in April 2018 but decided not to bring charges seven months later, owing to the statute of limitations.
Spacey was charged with indecent assault in December 2018 in connection with an alleged incident with a minor on Nantucket Island, Massachusetts, in the summer of 2016.
In July 2019, the case was thrown out in the middle of the trial after the accuser exercised his Fifth Amendment rights halfway through his testimony, and it was removed from the record.