Georgia: Caucasus International University (CIU) is hosting a winter school on “About local self-government” from February 5 to 10, 2024. The winter school is open to undergraduate and master’s degree students of any university interested in learning about the theory and practice of local governance in Georgia and abroad.
The winter school will offer lectures, seminars, workshops, and field visits to local self-government institutions and organizations. The participants will be able to interact with experts, practitioners, and researchers in local self-government and network with fellow students from different universities and countries.
The winter school aims to enhance the knowledge and skills of the participants on the principles, functions, and challenges of local self-government, as well as to foster their civic engagement and social responsibility. The winter school also intends to promote the participants’ academic and professional development and encourage them to pursue further studies or careers in local self-government.
The winter school will cover various topics related to local self-government, such as:
- Historical and constitutional development of local self-government in Georgia and other countries;
- Legal and institutional framework of local self-government in Georgia and the European Charter of Local Self-Government;
- Roles and responsibilities of local self-government bodies and officials;
- Financial and human resources management of local self-government;
- Local self-government and participatory democracy;
- Local self-government and sustainable development;
- Local self-government and intergovernmental relations;
- Local self-government and international cooperation.
The winter school will also allow students to network with peers and experts and enjoy the culture.
The winter school is free of charge for the selected participants, who will receive a certificate of attendance upon program completion. The deadline for registration is January 19, 2024. The application form and more details about the winter school can be found on the CIU website.
Caucasus International University
CIU is a private higher education institution founded in 1995 and operates in Tbilisi, Georgia. CIU offers a variety of undergraduate, one-cycle, post-graduate, and PhD programs in various fields of study, such as business, medicine, law, social sciences, and humanities.
CIU is accredited by the National Center for Education Quality Enhancement and ranked among the top universities in Georgia by QS World University Rankings.