In Belgium, at least 6 people were killed, and more than 30 were seriously wounded when a car ploughed into a carnival crowd on Sunday, March 20.
The incident occurred in Strepy-Bracquegnies early in the morning, about 5 a.m. local time (0400GMT).
According to the reports, there were around 150-200 people gathered in the Strépy-Bracquegnies, a small town about 50 kilometres (30 miles) south of Brussels.
Prosecutor Damien Verheyen stated that they had arrested two people in relation to the incident, but there was no such evidence to suggest that the attack had a terror motive behind that.
Moreover, Jacques Gobert, mayor of the neighbouring town of La Louviere, said that a car driven from the back at high speed hit the crowd, which led to the death of 6 people, and dozens of people were injured.
A reception was organized for the families of the victims, and Gobert requested the folk societies to stop the carnival.
The bystanders and eyewitnesses told the sources that about 150 people were gathered at the carnival site when the car slammed into the crowd.
A witness stated, “We heard a loud noise behind us, and the car rammed into a crowd.”
After the car rammed into the crowd, it was stopped by the people, and the two drivers were arrested following the incident. The drivers were said to be locals in their mid-30s and were not known to police previously.
Furthermore, the Prime Minister of Belgium, Alexander De Croo, also took this incident to Twitter and wrote, “Dreadful news from Strepy-Bracquegnies. A gathering to celebrate was struck right in the heart.”
“My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their loved ones. All of my support goes to the emergency services for providing their assistance and support,” he added.
As per the reports, PM De Croo and Belgium’s King Philippe will be visiting the area.
The Internal Affairs Minister of Belgium, Annelies Verlinden, also conveyed her “deepest condolences to the families and friends of those slain and wounded in the incident this morning.”